Yes, it’s contest time again! And this time, it’s creative! Oooh!
Art is a wonderful thing. Let’s make some!
This contest runs from June 7th to August 20th. I know what you’re thinking: Why so long? Because, dear readers, timing. It’s summertime and
the living is easy people are busy. Vacations and work and summer classes and kids and all sorts of things are going on. I want to make sure everyone who wants to has a chance to enter, even if various real world obligations are eating their time.
This contest will have two categories: Traditional art for those who are good with their hands, and writing for people who are better at word-crafting. I’m pretty much going to give you guys free rein to do whatever you want with your entries. As long as your entry can be tied to the comic in some way, you’re good.
The Rules (and other considerations)
- Traditional art contest entries can be made with whatever media you’re most comfortable with: Pen, pencil, paint, digital media, clay, deserts… whatever floats your boat.
- A picture is worth a thousand worth a thousand words (but I’m not counting.) If you’re entering into the writing contest, try to shoot for something of a reasonable length. Think more than a paragraph, less than a novel.
- If you are a person of multiple talents and are so inclined, you can submit something to both categories and have a shot at both prizes.
- Only one entry per category per person, please! (ie. You can submit ONE drawing and ONE piece of writing, no more.)
- To submit your entry, send it to email@example.com. If it’s a 3D work of art (sculpture, cake, etc.) take as many pictures as you feel necessary to accurately portray your entry.
- All entries must be received no later than August 20th.
- The winners will be announced in the author’s comments of the August 24th comic post.
Some additional things to consider:
- All entries are going to be posted in the fanart section of the website. Where, y’know… grandmas and small children might stumble upon it. Given how awesome I know all my readers are, I probably don’t really need to say this, but please use some discretion with your entries. If you want to do an entry where people are being romantic, or there’s some violence or scary things going on, that’s perfectly okay. If it’s something that you think would make the average person recoil from their monitor in abject horror and make them feel like they need to bleach their brain to get rid of the mental images…. probably best to do something else.
- The entries will be posted into the fanart section on August 21st so everyone can see the amazing artwork before I choose the winners.
- Another thing that I probably don’t need to even bring up but am going to anyway just to make sure all the bases are covered… Please, original artwork only. Don’t steal anyone else’s hard work. Any entries that turn out to be stolen from somewhere else are automatically disqualified.
- If you have any questions, my e-mail box is always open. :)
Now for the good part…
What better to give out for an art contest than art?
I like options, you like options, LET’S HAVE SOME OPTIONS!
The contest winners can each choose something from the following list to claim as their very own:
- A custom piece of art of whatever you want. Something from the comic? A snazzy character of your own? Something from your favorite book or movie? A majestic turkey vulture? Whatever you like, I will make it happen.
- A bonus page for the comic, your choice of characters and subject matter.
- A comic page that you write and I will illustrate, your choice whether it’s for the comic, a project of your own, or anything else.
- A set of 6 custom magnets, your choice what goes on them. They’ll be 1″ x 1″ watercolors with a flat glass tile on top, I’ll cover shipping expenses.
- Or, if nothing here appeals to you, e-mail me and we’ll work something out.
Good luck, everyone! :D